The Gastric Banding surgery was first developed in the 1980s and since then it has been regarded as one of the most popular weight-loss surgeries not only in Australia, but in the entire world. Since 1992, Gastric Banding surgery has been performed in Australia, and till date, more than 650,000 cases in all over the world and 60,000 cases in Australia have been of great success.
Why is this surgery more popular than others?
• Unlike other weight-loss surgeries, like gastric sleeve, gastric balloon and gastric bypass surgery, this surgery can be reversed. The band can be removed anytime, unlike other types of obesity surgeries which involve permanent cuts and staples in the stomach. Go right here if you are looking for gastric balloon.
• Moreover, weight loss surgery Sydney does not lead to any sort of deficiencies in minerals and vitamins. And probably that is why it is so very popular in Australia. Patients should choose a reputed weight loss clinic for this treatment.
For whom is this surgery applicable?
• The gastric band surgery is effective for people who eat too much to satisfy themselves.
• There are several patients who can easily shed of their extra fat, but fail to maintain their body shape. So, this surgery is applicable for them too.
Gastric Band Surgery in detail
A band made up of medical silicon is placed around the top of stomach using laparoscopic or keyhole surgery. The material is completely safe to use and is fully medicated. The entire surgery takes about one hour under a general anaesthetic. Four small incisions of about 5mm are made on the upper portion of the abdomen where the band is being placed. To keep the band in correct position, it needs few stitches, reducing the chances of slippage.
After this, through one of the incisions, a changeable access-port is positioned under the skin, which is then connected with the band using special tubes.
Once the patients wake up from the effect of anaesthesia after a few hours, they are generally seen walking around and drinking liquids. So, it shows that in this surgery there is speedy recovery which is good. After a few days patients can even go for light activities like driving and so on.
How it works?
• The band allows the patients to eat less, but even then it will allow them to feel full and satisfied.
• It considerably reduces background hunger.
• It prevents the patients from overeating.
Benefits of Gastric Band Surgery
• According to records, within 18 months of time, in an average, most of the patients have lost 62% of their excess weight after going through this surgery.
• Medical conditions, like sleep apnoea, type 2 diabetes, infertility, join pain and such other diseases, which are associated with obesity, seemed to reduce in the patients once they have undergone the surgery. They can enjoy a better and happier life now.